In his best Soviet poliburo style, Putin wants to quash term-limits, and is using state TV to build himself up, lock his foes away and keep his crony Dmitri Medvedev down.
While many world leaders fret, Putin has picked up some vocal support here.
- Sarah Palin, watching him from her sewing room in Alaska, says he’s a wiry but “adorable” hunk whom she could handle with a wink and a "you betcha."
- Pentagon leaders happily tell SPINews, “Let ‘em cut our budget now!”
- The CIA and FBI are dry cleaning their trenchcoats.
- The George Smiley Society of Spy Novelists lit its pipe: “We feared all the glamour like invisible ink and dead drops were gone forever. You can take the boy out of the KGB ... ”
- Cartoonists are euphoric: “We love drawing great big missiles!”
Putin reassuringly says he supports free speech, "except, of course, yelling 'fire' in a crowded gulag.