Football, especially the National Football League, has come under fire for causing head injuries, depression, early dementia and even suicide. The Sardonika Policy Institute has been following the criticism and the NFL’s response, and here is Part II of its two-part study. Part I was a serious look at helmets. The SPI also recommends the league:
- Take a cue from boxing and set a weight limit of 200 pounds. Nobody needs to weigh 300 pounds -- that's the land of steroids and heart attacks.
- Take a cue from the automobile industry and wear seat belts.
- Issue 16th-Century throwback Uniforms. It’s hard to get up a head of steam when clanking around in 50 pounds of metal.
- Go for the rugby look. Few players will head-butt an opponent with just their heads.
- Think hybrid and combine football with cross-country. Lengthen the field to five kilometers High-impact collisions will stop when players go anaerobic.